Sunday, April 4, 2010

Meaningful Musings

I am at this moment sitting at the front desk at my job, staring out of the picturesque window that spans one whole wall of the adjoining conference room. I never get tired of this view. It is one of the perks of sitting up at Reception. Every time I look out of the window I am refreshed by the scene spread out before me. Blue. Deep, ocean blue accented by green palm trees, finished off with a warm, sky blue uninterrupted by clouds. In moments like this I relish the quiet phone and seemingly empty office. With one glance at this breathtaking scene I am immediately taken with thoughts of my Creator. It is particularly poignant today on this Good Friday.

I am astounded by the thought that Almighty God, the Maker of heaven and earth, King of all creation could have anything, create anything, do anything and yet He wanted me. He wanted you. He wanted the very thing He could not have because of the gaping chasm caused by sin. So what did He do? He didn’t just sit back and say, “Oh well. Guess I have to find another object of my affection.” No. God devised a brilliant, supernatural, heartrending plan. He sentenced His only Son to death.

The brilliance lies not in the death alone. After an agonizing death by crucifixion, Jesus was restored to life! Now if that isn’t a testament of God’s marvelous power I don’t know what is.
In light of all of this I look at my life and think, “what am I doing? I mean what am I really doing for my Savior?” I think back to the words of Solomon in Ecclesiastes when he refers to everything as “meaningless.” Compared to Calvary that is exactly the category that everything else in life seems to fall into. And yet, life would be utterly meaningless if it weren’t for the horrific tragedy of the cross.

So I guess in all of my ponderings I am challenged once again to look at life from a different perspective…an eternal perspective. I want my life to be a reflection of my Savior. I want to fulfill my purpose in Christ and not allow myself to succumb to trivial pursuits.

Lord help me to search for you even in the everyday, in the mundane.